IRON WHYALLA IMO 5163613 1954 - 1979 BHP Shipping Australia
7843 gross tons, 3863 net, 10,777 dwt. Lbd: 498' x 62'1" x 30'.
Machinery: three steam turbines (Parsons, Wallsend UK) single reduction geared to a single shaft. 6,200 shaft horsepower.
Consumed 65 tons per day in making service speed of 14 knots. 51 crew. Four cargo holds.
Designed by BHP's Architect and staff, incorporating the 'Isherwood' structural framing system.
She was the first of a planned 'four' 10,000 dwt bulk carriers intended for BHP's coastal services, taking iron ore and fluxes from South Australia to Port Kembla and Newcastle, returning with coal and coke. Laid down at Whyalla shipyards March 1951, she was not completed
and delivered until until June 1954 owing to long delay in the delivery of machinery.
Sistership Iron Spencer.
Maiden voyage 10 June from Whyalla jetty with a cargo of iron ore bound for Port Kembla.
Mid 1967 shelter deck closed, converted to oil firing and tonnage increased as 10,305 gross, 4978 net, 12,762 dwt.
1st June 1979 sold to Selco (Hong Kong) Ltd, and later resold to Nanhor Steel Enterprise Ltd. Towed to Kaohsiung and demolition began 27 July 1979
Information supplied by John Hoskin: http://www.flotilla-australia.com/