Screenshot 2023-06-19 at 5.36.48 pm.png

"This is a mass burial at sea, on the USS INTREPID in 1944 following a kamikaze attack. I posted so people can see, and remember the incredible sacrifices made on our behalf."

INTREPID spend two years under construction before launching from Newport News, Virginia in August 1943. She completed her shakedown cruise and headed straight into the thick of combat in the Pacific in January of 1943.

Screenshot 2023-06-22 at 11.14.25 am.png

Her first mission was to support the Allies’ ongoing island-hopping campaign, which by this point had reached the Gilbert and Marshall Islands. After her aircraft helped wreak havoc on Kwajalein Atoll, Intrepid’s next task was to assist in raids on Truk Lagoon. INTREPID and other carriers devastated Japanese forces in Truk, but on the night of 17–18 February, just weeks after she first saw combat, the mighty carrier was hit by a torpedo from a Japanese B6N “Jill” bomber. The hit damaged INTREPID’s stern and jammed her rudder while in a port turn. To counter the turn Captain Thomas Sprague reversed the starboard screw and doubled the portside. In addition, the crew fashioned an old-school sail out of canvas to help steer her to Pearl Harbor for repairs.

INTREPID was back in combat seven months later and supported the Marines landing on Peleliu. Following this, the carrier was involved in the Battle of Leyte Gulf, which saw a major naval clash between the US and Japan near the Philippines. Despite being massively outgunned, Japan assembled a force of nine battleships, nineteen cruisers, and four carriers.The Japanese had also brought along one of their most powerful weapons, the battleship MUSASHI. Displacing 80,000 tons and armed with enormous 18-inch guns, the MUSASHI, along with her sister ship Yamato was the biggest and most powerful battleship ever built.

During the Battle of Leyte Gulf, aircraft – including ones from INTREPID – harassed MUSASHI for hours. The fearsome battleship shot down four of Intrepid’s aircraft but was hit by an estimated 17 bombs and 19 torpedoes. She finally capsized on 24 October 1944. Shortly after this success came under intense attacks from Japanese kamikaze aircraft; the first of which struck one of the carrier’s ports anti-aircraft positions. On November 25 a Zero crashed into the ship and set it ablaze. Before this fire could be extinguished another Zero slammed into the flattop’s flight deck and started a fire in one of its hangers. More than 60 men died in the attack, and so once again the wounded ship headed back to Pearl Harbor for repairs.

She was back in action in early 1945 and was able to support the bloody landings at Okinawa. Bad luck would strike again though, as a fourth kamikaze hit the ship, causing another fierce fire below decks.

INTREPID sailed back to Pearl Harbor for repairs for the third time. When the war ended USS INTREPID traveled to Japan to assist in the occupation.